Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

UnlockedMW for Mafia Wars is recommended by Mistyfied Mafia Wars.
Mafia Wars Toolbar


Search this Mafia Wars blog by typing your keywords below:

Monday, April 25, 2011

a look at Golden Promotions

By now, you've probably seen these "Golden Promotion" posts in your news feed. Zynga is in the process of rolling this out to players, but some of us have had the feature for some time now. 
This is one of the better features Zynga has released lately, and I hope they hurry up and provide it to all players. In addition to a couple of good loot items, Golden Promotions can give attack or defense points, which the person leveling-up will receive as well as the first few people to collect on a posted level-up.


  
Some of the rewards from these posts are actually pretty good, but the problem is, unless the publisher comments what item they received as shown above, you have no idea what you're getting. Not everything you can win is rewarding, and you can only collect on three of these level up posts per day.



  
 This Croc O'Nine Tails is one example of good loot that can be obtained from the level up posts, and I was really grateful to Jessy for commenting what the item was when he posted his level up.



  
 Unfortunately, not every player adds a comment to indicate the reward, and you can get stuck with some not-so-awesome loot. Zynga calls this Arrivederci "Uncommon", but we know otherwise.





Even worse than the Arrevederci, Chain Vipers seem to be common rewards from Golden Promotions. I don't know about you, but I haven't needed a Chain Viper in a looooong time. 







 :(




Personally, I gots no beef with the limit of collecting 3 a day. Since the rewards can be good, I understand the need to prevent exploitation. I'll take my three rewards and not complain (for once).


I will suggest players post these "responsibly". Commenting what reward was received when posting them is greatly appreciated by your Facebook friends. Sometimes it might be better to not even post the level-up if the reward isn't good. 






As with most things Zynga-related, though, there is room for improvement. The milestone promotions can only be posted to a few select people - generally, inactive players or nonplayers. Zynga obviously wants us to get more people involved in the game, but I'm not sure this is the right way to do it. As shown above, level 700 was a promotion that I actually wanted to post to the news feed - that's worth bragging about! But you don't get an option to post to the news feed, you can only post the reward to people who don't really play. When I got the above promotion, the only player that it would let me publish to happens to be an account that I used to use for a game prior to Mafia Wars, what was the use in that?


Zynga could improve this by allowing us to send the milestone rewards to actual players that would appreciate it and benefit from it, and letting us post our milestones to the news feed.


Zynga could also improve this by rolling it out to other players FASTER, as I know a lot of people who are still waiting!

2 comments:

  1. I agree! My promotion rewards are useless stuff and several times I have gotten animal feeds and other loot that is of no use to me. Considering your level the rewards should be in accordance to that.Boo to Zynga:(

    ReplyDelete
  2. You know, I really didn't pay much attention to this. I haven't been collecting regularly and certainly haven't been 'sharing'...good to know it only cycles onto inactive accounts, though. Thanx for the 'heads up'. Seems this Golden Promotion non event is just another opportunity for Zynga to piss on loyal Mafia Wars players. Begone zyngots. No R Kelly here...I don't do golden showers. Opting out.

    ReplyDelete