Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

UnlockedMW for Mafia Wars is recommended by Mistyfied Mafia Wars.
Mafia Wars Toolbar


Search this Mafia Wars blog by typing your keywords below:

Saturday, April 30, 2011

Thoughts from a Mafia Wars Health Junkie by Lewella Tembreull


 I have seen a lot of recent discussion about health; why some players have a lot of it, and many don't like that it's seemingly pushed on us in the game, with these +20 health builds and health point Fan Blasts, etc. This brought to mind this note written by Wella Warner.

Thoughts from a Mafia Wars Health Junkie

by Wella Warner

My name is Lewella and I am a Mafia Wars Health Junkie.  From the beginning I was one of those players other players would describe as "health heavy" or call just plain stupid for having so much health.  My thoughts on health have always been outside the box and I have a theory or two...

So What is the Allure of Health? 
The answer is actually pretty simple and counter to the old school of thought on fighting and health.  I'm health heavy because I don't want to die quickly.  Be it playing the fight list, participating in a mock, an icing contest, etc. I am impatient and I don't want to waste time healing.  The less often I have to heal, the less time I spend away from what I love doing and I love icing other players.

The ability to fight longer isn't the only reason I enjoy being health heavy.  There is a certain satisfaction in knowing your opponent has just blown 60 or 70 stamina trying to ice you.  Think about that for just a second.  Players don't have limitless stamina.  In a clan war having 1000 plus health would come in pretty handy wouldn't it?

But what about your fight stats?  For me fighting in Mafia Wars has never been about the win/loss ratio, it has always been about the ice.  It isn't unheard of for me to get 10 or more ices on one health refill playing the fight list.  Yes, if I get on the fight list it takes a while for me to die if I'm at full health but that doesn't bother me.  Chances are good a few of those attacks are going to run red and give me some free experience.

Another advantage to being health heavy is how long I can last during boss fights.  Not just the in city ones but the special events too.  The more health I have the less I have to depend on my mafia members to help me in boss fights.  I haven't needed assistance from my mafia in the special event boss fights until the last level even though the event boss fights seem to become harder and harder with each new event.  The quicker I get my boss fights done the quicker I can help my less health heavy friends complete theirs!

My Thoughts on Healths Future Roll
We've all noticed how Health is suddenly the easiest thing to add in Mafia Wars.  Everywhere you turn there is a way to add to your Health.
- Build a Palermo Luxury in your Chop Shop +5 Health
- Build a Dirty Trick or a Electric Prod in your Weapon Depot +5 Health
- Buy a Water Truck or Good Neighbor in your Port in Italy +5 Health
- Build a MNU Suit in your Armory +10 Health
- Day 7 or your Daily Take might give you +15 Health
- Build a Warthog in your Zoo +20 Health
- Vault the Operation Collection +20 Health
- Vault the Cacti Collection in Vegas +30 Health
- Buy a Tiger Claw in your Port in Italy +30 Health
- Vault the Great Inventor Collection in Italy +50 Health
So where do I think all this health is taking us?  Zynga had a reason when they made stamina cost half of what it had originally cost and I suspect they have a reason for making Health easy to acquire as well.

What if the event boss fights are just a preview of what future city boss fights are going to be like?  Rumors abound that the rest of Italy will be opening soon.  I expect the new city boss fights in Italy are going to be much more difficult than any other city boss fights have been.  We are about due for another boss fight event as well. 

I have another theory on Health as well.  I've been around a while, I remember when a single hit in a fight was not likely to go over 23 damage.  Then around the time Vegas rolled out I started seeing damage numbers increase to 28 damage per hit.  What if the roll out of the rest of Italy makes the possible damage per hit increase even more?  What if we start seeing hits that inflict 33 damage?  I don't think it is outside the realm of possibility.  In fact I think it is likely that as the value of our loot increases that the damage inflicted will also increase.  If you are inflicting 30 damage and taking 25 damage and only have 300 health you are going to be healing often aren't you?  If you are hitting someone like me who is health heavy what are the chances you'll get the ice before you are on ice yourself?

Zynga appears to be pushing us toward creating more balanced characters.  I feel that all the indicators are there for Health to become drastically more important as Mafia Wars continues to evolve.

No comments:

Post a Comment