Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

Mafia Wars from a Player's Perspective

UnlockedMW for Mafia Wars is recommended by Mistyfied Mafia Wars.
Mafia Wars Toolbar


Search this Mafia Wars blog by typing your keywords below:

Thursday, June 9, 2011

Families module name change issue

Those joining the new Families module are finding there are still some issues with it, which is to be expected. This is definitely beta, please remember that. Additionally, contacting Customer Support about Families issues will not get you anywhere. As this is beta, Customer Support probably has very little information about it. Myself and many other alpha testers have been doing our best to answer questions and forward bugs and issues.

Here is one bug that has been an issue for at least one player I know personally. Read on to see how you can avoid it when you join a Family.

After being accepted into a Mafia Wars Family, players will find a Families tab added under the My Mafia tab in the game. The first time you visit, you'll notice you have the option to change your name for free.

The reason for this is, many players already have their family tags in their character name. When joining a Family from within the game, that family tag will be automatically applied to your character name - in red, resulting in duplicate tags. I've seen a lot of people asking about what the red tags are, now you know :)

*Although before you remove your family tag from your character name, be aware that the Family tags are NOT currently showing up on Facebook posts such as ices. I imagine that will likely be fixed, but for now when posting to Facebook, it's only picking up the character name and not the red Family tag.* As a result, some players are choosing to keep both tags for now.

Anyway, in the field where you are to enter your character name, DO NOT CLICK 'CHANGE' WITHOUT ENTERING YOUR CHARACTER NAME. Doing so will give you the mafia name "Enter New Name." I was able to duplicate this issue.



 
Obviously, the person that this happened to was not happy that he had to spend 15 points to re-change his name, and I don't blame him.

I have turned this issue in, I don't think it should let a player proceed with a name change without the player actually entering any text into that field. In the meantime, be aware of that and don't pre-maturely click Change :)

8 comments:

  1. I entered a new name and it still gave me Enter a New Name for my name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beatrice - oh no! Try contacting Customer Support. I've seen a few players say that CS gave them 15 RPs to correct their names. Let me know if you experience otherwise.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Misty I contacted them and was told
    Lisa C.: I'm sorry but I have been informed by the Developers directly that if I credit while they work on this resolution that it will cancel out the progress that they have made so far. So when the fix comes out your account would actually be reset to the way it is now, and It would take more time for them to fix it again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it hasent even done our tag properly only 2 letters are red and ppl cant join properly mines a total mess

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Be, that's moderately good news at least, they are working for a fix for this!

    @Karen, there are problems with a few members not showing up once accepted, or not showing up immediately, that's a known bug. We can assume that functionality will be improved now that some major bugs are worked out and Families is a general release as of last night. As for it only picking up 2 letters of your tag, I haven't heard of that happening, unless it was entered incorrectly - I'm not saying you did or didn't, just that I haven't heard of it. I'd report that to CS.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anyone got any idea how to leave a family? I didn't realize that the MW request I accepted was to join a family and I would prefer to stay as I was.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Leaving a family is simple... I did so, I just wanted my name back. My name was there on the right side, I thought it would change automatically. This is ridiculous. There are quite a few "Enter New Name" now, phew.
    Anyway, to leave a family click on the red X left-side to your name. Yes or No? Say no here.
    And PLZ Zynga give us our F*"§$% names back.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I would like to know if there are any secret ways that people can get into the red tag groups without applying and being accepted. Lately I have found a couple of members that havent been accepted in due to our family being marked as NOT RECRUITING. Also the suspect members have No Mutual Friends from my clan?? I have contacted Zynga and they said that obviously someone has been accepting BUT there is no request to join button on our families wall.

    ReplyDelete